Welcome to the Website of SLMA Expert Committee on Snakebite
SRI LANKA MEDICAL ASSOCIATION - EXPERT COMMITTEE ON SNAKEBITE
The SLMA Expert Committee on Snakebite was established in 1983. Its Aims and Objectives were defined as set out below in 2011:
- Advise the SLMA Council on all matters relating to issues in connection with snakebite in Sri Lanka.
- Be available to advise the Ministry of Health and other Government bodies on all matters relating to issues in connection with snakebite in Sri Lanka.
- play proactive roles in the prevention of snakebite and promotion of best practices in the management of snakebite by venomous snakes through
- lectures and seminars at SLMA clinical and scientific meetings;
- outreach programmes for doctors and other health delivery staff in provincial institutions;
- radio and television programmes for the general public;
- talks and publications for the general public; and
- publications, including management guidelines, for medical practitioners.
- Promote, encourage, and facilitate development of effective snake antivenom for use in Sri Lanka.
- Promote, encourage , and facilitate collection of accurate data regarding snakebite and snakebite deaths.
- Any other activities including partnering civil society organisations that may be necessary to achieve the general objectives 1 to 5.
The Guidelines for the Management of Snakebite in Hospital 2021 that are contained in this website replaces the 2017 Guidelines.