Call for Orations 2018
Applications are invited for the following Orations to be held during 2018.
- The SLMA Oration
- N. D. W. Lionel Memorial Oration
- S. Ramachandran Oration
- C. Paul Oration
- Sir Marcus Fernando Oration
- Sir Nicholas Attygalle Oration
- Murugesar Sinnetamby Oration
The SLMA Oration, Prof.N.D.W. Lionel Memorial Oration, Dr. S. Ramachandran Oration and the S.C. Paul Oration will be held during the 131stAnniversary International Medical Congress of the Sri Lanka Medical Association which will be held from 26th to 29th July, 2018 at The Galadari Hotel, Colombo-01.
Other orations (Sir Marcus Fernando Oration, Sir Nicholas Attygalle Oration and Murugesar Sinnetamby Oration) will be held in Oct/Nov 2018 (Dates are to be decided).
The SLMA Oration:
The SLMA Oration is the most prestigious oration of the Association. Instituted in 1979 it recognizes outstanding achievement in research. It is delivered at the inauguration Ceremony of the Anniversary International Medical Congress of the SLMA. Hence, the content of the oration should be appropriate for a medical audience. Substantial proportion of the work should been conducted in Sri Lanka and/ or should have relevance to medicine in Sri Lanka.
- Substantial part of the oration should be based on original research.
- Orations based on work published in peer reviewed journals will be given priority.
- In case of multi-author research and publications, the applicant should inform the other authors of his/her presentation and provide details of the contribution to design, data collection, analysis and writing of the manuscript by the applicant.
- A separate sheet stating the publications on which the oration is based should be attached to the submission (see below for details).
- The Murugesar Sinnetamby Oration should be preferably on a topic pertaining to Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
Guidelines for submission
- A covering letter should indicate the oration/orations for which the manuscript should be considered.
- The oration should be written in full. The IMRAD format is suggested unless the content requires otherwise.
- For all research involving human or animal subjects, state ‘Ethics Clearance’ in the methods section. Randomized Control Trials should have been registered in a WHO recognized Clinical Trial Registry.
- The oration should be typed using Times New Roman, size 12, double line spacing. Harvard or Vancouver system of referencing can be used.
- Five (05) copies of the scripts should be submitted to the SLMA office (Hony Secretary, ‘Wijerama House’, No.6, Wijerama Mawatha, Colombo-07). Of these, two (02) copies should be with the name of the author and three (3) copies should be without the name of the author.
- Each copy should be accompanied with a brief resume of the salient points in one sheet of paper (A4 size) indicating the contribution made to advances in knowledge on the subject. Further particulars may be obtained from the SLMA office.
The manuscript should be accompanied by a separate document which indicates the following;
- The impact of the research in terms of advancing scientific knowledge, quality of clinical care and improvement of service delivery.
- In case of multi-author research/publications, the contribution of the applicant to design, data collection, analysis and writing of publications/manuscript.
- A declaration by the applicant that the other authors of the presented research have no objections to the submission of the oration.
- The applicant should declare if all or part of the work included in the manuscript has already been presented as an oration.
- Declaration of financial and other conflicts of interests.
All authors of orations should be members of the SLMA, if they are eligible for membership. (If you are not a member at present, you can apply now)
Closing date for all orations: 31stMarch 2018
Sri Lanka Medical Association.