SLMA Expert Committee on Snakebite
To be the Advisory Body to the Ministry of Health on all issues related to snakebite.
- To develop a central database for snakebite in association with the Medical Statistics Unit of the Ministry of Health.
- To reduce deaths from snake bite by
- Educating doctors and nurses on correct treatment and management of snakebite;
- Educating the public on prevention of snakebite and first aid;
- Establishing and maintaining a Hotline to offer advice to clinicians faced with treatment and management dilemmas following snake bite.
- To promote and facilitate research on snake bite, its treatment and management.
- To periodically update doctors and interested scientists on developments regarding snakes, snakebites, treatment, management of snakebite and research.
- To undertake all such other activities necessary to achieve the Aim.
Programme for 2015:
- Snakes, Snakebite and Management: An Update: To proceed with a comprehensive publication to replace the special issue of the CMJ that was published 30 years ago. Hopefully this can be done as a special issue of the CMJ.
- eIMMR: To continue liaising with the Medical Statistics Department of the MoH to get this off the ground and start collecting epidemiological information.
- To maintain Guidelines publications: and supply CDs as required.
- Snakebite Prevention and First Aid: to print the revised texts and distribute widely amongst the public.